Since 2009, Waste Connections has provided Derby residents with curbside recycling every other week. On January 1, 2022, a new five-year contract with Waste Connections began that continues to provide curbside recycling service to all residential customers.
Participating in Curbside Recycling
Residents who do not currently recycle and would like to start doing so can call Waste Connections at 316-838-4920 to request a recycling cart. Recyclables are collected biweekly on the same day as your trash is picked up. It is important to only place recyclable items in the recycling cart so that these materials can effectively be processed. The guide below outlines items that can be recycled, as well as common items that cannot be recycled.
The decision to put recyclables out at the curb every other week is a decision to be made by each household. Derby does not mandate recycling. We provide a system that encourages recycling by making it easy and affordable. Approximately 90% of Derby trash customers participate in biweekly curbside recycling. Before this program started in 2009, the rate of recycling in Derby was less than 5%.
New in 2022
Effective Jan. 1, 2022, Waste Connections will notify customers if trash or non-accepted items are found in their carts. If contamination is found, the customer will receive two warning notices. After that, their cart will be removed and the customer will be billed $25 for the removal. Customers who do not wish to recycle may contact Waste Connections at 316-838-4920 to have their carts removed. Canceling recycling services will not change the service rate charged.
If someone in your household has a hard time remembering which items can be recycled and which are considered "contamination," you might consider printing this helpful Guide and taping it on the recycling cart or in another prominent location.
- Cardboard (dry, not greasy)
- Glass bottles and jars (empty and rinse)
- Junk mail and paper bags
- Magazines and catalogs
- Newspapers and newsprint
- Office paper
- Phone books
- Plastics #1-#7 (empty and rinse)
- Steel, tin and aluminum cans (rinse)
- Aerosol cans
- Do not bag recycling or place plastic bags in recycling cart. Items not included on this list should not be put in the recycling cart.
- If you are unsure whether an item may be recycled or the proper method of disposal, please use the Waste Wizard widget at the bottom of this page to learn more. @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
For additional information on what can be recycled and how to properly dispose of other items, pleas use the Waste Wizard widget below.