K-15 Area Plan
A culmination of two years of work between the City and consultants RDG Planning & Design and WSP as well as numerous stakeholders and citizens of Derby, the plan was approved by the City Council in January 2019. The plan will be adopted into the Comprehensive Plan Update, scheduled to be completed in 2020. The plan provides a framework for redevelopment of the area and reflects the goals and desires of the City, the land and business owners and area residents.
A preferred design concept was created and introduced to the public in November 2017. The concept was well received and served as a model going forward for the plan.
The preferred design concepts include:
- A mid-point traffic signal on K-15 between Meadowlark Blvd. and Patriot Ave.
- Realignment and safety improvements for Nelson Dr. at Patriot Ave.
- A continued frontage road (Nelson Dr.) along K-15 with the intersection shifted east along Red Powell Dr.
- A new middle road east of the proposed new signal on K-15 with a roundabout.
- A new rearage road to improve circulation within the northern portion of the plan area.
Additional recommendations include:
- Creating a meaningful gateway to the community.
- Increased focus on pedestrian and bicycle connectivity, green space and pedestrian amenities.
- Using 360 degree architecture to improve aesthetics and capitalize on visibility from the new rearage and middle roads.
- Creation of a new business park area that includes flex space for new businesses.
Plan implementation will require investment both public and private. Design and construction of improvements to support redevelopment will be considered as part of the budget process and programmed in the Capital Improvement Plan (CIP).
- In August 2018, the City Council added a project to the CIP to design a signalized intersection for access to K-15 in 2020 with construction in 2023. Funding has not yet been identified.
The City Council has made it a priority to further assess the needs of the plan area in order to identify a development strategy that will keep the area a viable commercial sector of the City, improve traffic safety along Highway K-15, and enhance aesthetics and property values within the plan area.