- City Services
- Economic Development
- Register and Start Your Business
Register and Start Your Business
Welcome to the Derby business community. The City of Derby values the strong and growing business community and the goods and services businesses provide for the community.
Business Registration Requirements
Derby, KS: Derby Municipal Code requires businesses operating within the city limits to register their business with City Hall. To renew your business, see the Business Registration Renewal page.
State of Kansas: Visit the Kansas Business Center to determine if you need to register your business with the State. This is a valuable website and great resource specific to operating a business in Kansas. It provides a one-stop shop about planning, registering, operating, and moving a business to Kansas.
Small Business and Self-Employed Tax Center: Visit IRS.Gov/SmallBiz for resources that provide basic federal tax information for people starting a business, as well as information to assist in making basic business decisions.
Who needs to register in Derby?
Doing business in Derby means doing any of the following within the corporate city limits of the city of Derby, Kansas: (1) Engaging in or conducting business transactions; or (2) Maintaining an office; or (3) Maintaining a retail or wholesale outlet; or (4) Maintaining a business address.
Registering Your Business is Easy!
- Complete a business registration application.
- Submit the application and $20 fee to the Development Manager at City Hall.
- The application will be reviewed by the Development Manager and Zoning Administrator.
- Upon approval, the applicant will be contacted to schedule an inspection. Inspections will be conducted by the Fire Department and Building Trades Official for businesses operating in commercial zoning districts. Home Occupation businesses zoned residential do not require an inspection unless the business is registered as a day care. On-site inspections are conducted to assure compliance with all city codes and policies. Applicants are provided a list of inspection items.
- After inspections are completed, a business registration certificate will be issued and mailed to the business owner/manager.
- Business registrations are valid from the date of issuance until December 31.
- Businesses are required to renew their registration each year. If you close your business, notify the Development Manager.
What to Consider Before Registering
Review Article 4 of the Zoning Regulations to determine if your business will be permitted at the desired location. The regulations also include requirements for screening & landscaping, off-street parking, and signs. Review Article 602 Home Occupation Authorization if you plan to operate a business, profession, occupation or trade for gain or support entirely within a residential building or manufactured/mobile home, or within a permitted structure that is accessory to such a building or home.
View the difference between a Hobby and a Business for Tax Purposes - IRS Tax Tips
Will a permit be required?
- Permanent Sign - complete a sign application and submit to City Hall.
- Temporary Sign - complete a temporary sign application and submit to City Hall.
- Remodeling - complete a commercial building permit application and submit to City Hall.
- Temporary Use - complete a temporary use permit application and submit to City Hall at least two full business days prior to the event.
Will a license be required?
- Cereal Malt Beverage (CMB) license - (1) Complete the appropriate CMB application from the Alcoholic Beverage Control website; (2) Submit the application, a color copy of the driver's license of each individual listed on the application and the license fee to the Development Manager at City Hall.
On-premise license $250; Off-premise license $100.
- Child Care Licensing - A Derby business registration, a Kansas Child Care License, and a Fire Marshal inspection report are required. Submit the business registration application with the $20 fee, a copy of the child care license (temporary license accepted), and a copy of the signed fire marshal inspection report to Derby City Hall.
The Kansas Department of Health & Environment (KDHE) requires attendance at a child care orientation class prior to submitting an application for a child care license. Visit KDHE for State licensing requirements and information. Visit the Wichita Child Care Licensing website for orientation information.
Start-up support is available for new Child Care Providers through the Child Care Health Consultant Network.
Child care license compliance can be viewed on the KDHE website under the child care license compliance search.
- Class A Club - A State of Kansas Liquor License is required. Visit the Kansas Department of Revenue Alcoholic Beverage Control Division to apply for a Kansas Liquor License. Submit a copy of the Kansas License and $500 fee to City Hall.
- Drinking Establishment - A State of Kansas Liquor License required. Visit the Kansas Department of Revenue Alcoholic Beverage Control Division to apply for a Kansas Liquor License. Submit a copy of the Kansas License and $500 fee to City Hall.
- Food Businesses - A State of Kansas food license and inspection are required. Visit the Kansas Department of Agriculture for information. There currently is no citywide or statewide requirement for individual food handlers cards. However, please check with your employer or volunteer organization to see if they have a training requirement. The City of Wichita has a free online food safety course for volunteers. Anyone can take the course. Some organizations may require the course. The course may not be valid in other cities or or states.
- Retail Liquor Store - A State of Kansas Liquor License is required. Visit the Kansas Department of Revenue Alcoholic Beverage Control Division to apply for a Kansas Liquor License. Submit a copy of the Kansas License and $600 fee to City Hall.
- Massage Therapist License - Submit application and fee to City Hall. Fees are listed on the application.
- Massage Therapy Business License - Submit application and fee to City Hall. Fees are listed on the application.
- Microbrewery - A State of Kansas Liquor License is required. Visit the Kansas Department of Revenue Alcoholic Beverage Control Division to apply for a Kansas Liquor License. If the business plans to sale liquor by the drink or sale any liquor not manufactured on-site a Drinking Establishment License is required with the State of Kansas and with the City. Instructions to register for a Special Event are available on the Kansas Department of Revenue Microbrewery License webpage.
- Mobile Food Vending Registration - Submit application and fee to City Hall. Fees are listed on the application. Review KDOA Mobile Food Unit Licensing Guide for various resources and requirements for opening and operating a typical Kansas mobile food unit.
- Pawn/Precious Metals Permit - Submit application and fee to City Hall. Fees are listed on the application.
- Solicitor, Canvasser, Peddler License - Submit application and fee to City Hall. Fees are listed on the application.
- Solid Waste Collection Non-Residential - Submit application and fee to City Hall. Fees are listed on the application.
- Temporary Extension of Premises Liquor Sales - Submit a Temporary Use Permit application with the required documents and an approved ABC Form 816 to City Hall.
- Temporary Extension of Premises Liquor Sales ABC Form 816 - Bring the completed form to City Hall, Development Manager, for zoning approval. Once approved. the applicant must submit the signed form to ABC for approval.
- Temporary Permit Alcoholic Liquor - Submit the application with the required documents. Fees are listed on the application.
- Temporary Permit ABC Form 892 - Bring the completed form to City Hall to request the City Clerk's signature and then submit to ABC for approval.
Starting and Operating Your Business
The Derby Business Center offers access to many business resources and services on site or electronically to assist with starting your business. Use the Small Business Tip Sheet as a quick-start guide. The Business Center is located at the Derby Public Library, 1600 E. Walnut Grove Rd.
Visit the Kansas Business Center for valuable resources specific to operating a business in Kansas. It provides a one-stop shop about planning, registering, operating, and moving a business to Kansas.
The WSU Kansas Small Business Development Center also offers confidential,
no-cost advising to help you start or grow your business. The Center is located in the WSU Metropolitan Complex, 5015 E. 29th St. N. in Wichita. Contact: (316) 978-3193 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Visit their website at WSU Kansas SBDC.
- SBDC Kansas Small Business Development Center
- 1 Million Cups Wichita, KS
- SCKEDD South Central Kansas Economic Development District
- SCORE Small Business Mentors
- Kansas Sales Tax and Compensating Use Tax
- Workbooks for Starting or Growing Your Business
- Business Planning & Financial Statement Templates
- Kansas Small Business Development Center Resource Guide
- Kansas Global Trade Services
Derby Businesses Registrations
2023 Registrations - New & Renewed