The Mayor and City Council comprise the Governing Body. These elected officials are political leaders for the Derby community, and the Governing Body sets the policy for the City organization.
The City Council meets on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at 6:30 p.m. at Derby City Hall, 611 Mulberry Rd.
- The June 8, 2021 meeting has been canceled and replaced with a budget workshop that begins at 6:00 p.m.
- The December 28, 2021 meeting has been canceled due to the holidays.
Beginning March 23, 2021, Public Forum will resume. Due to COVID19, seating will be limited to Council Members, minimal staff, and only necessary others in the meeting room. Social distancing protocols will be in effect during the meeting. Masks may be removed when actually speaking at the podium. Members of the public desiring to speak to the Council during Public Forum must submit a request to the City Clerk by noon on the day of the City Council Meeting. City Clerk Lynn Ciarleglio may be reached via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via phone at 316-788-3132. If you prefer, you can send your comments to the City Clerk by noon on the day of the meeting, and those comments will be read aloud at the meeting.
For Public Hearings on specific agenda items, you do not have to sign up in advance to speak. If you prefer, you can send your comments to the City Clerk by noon on the day of the meeting, and those comments will be read aloud at the Hearing. If attending in person, you may be asked to wait outside the meeting room for your turn to speak at the podium and/or to exit the room after speaking to allow space for others in the room.
Questions or comments on agenda items may be submitted to your elected officials directly by e-mail or phone before the meeting (contact information at www.derbyks.com) or to the City Clerk.City Council meetings will be televised live on local Cox Cable Channel 7 and on the City's website at http://derbyks.com/406/Channel-7. Meetings are rebroadcast on Channel 7 on Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday at 2:30 p.m. and Saturday at 7 p.m.
City Council members are elected by ward. Wards cover a specific geographic area of the city. The City of Derby has with two City Council members elected from each ward. View the Ward Map.
|| Ward III
|| Ward IV
The principal job of the City Council is to establish the general policies under which the city operates. City Council members are the democratic "voice of the people" and exercise the public’s will by concentrating on issues that are responsive to the needs and the wants of the citizens.
The City Council accomplishes this by:
- Enacting ordinances and resolutions
- Approving the appointment of the City Manager, Municipal Judge, vacant City Council seats, and members of advisory boards and commissions
- Reviewing and approving the annual budget, setting the tax rate and approving the financing of city operations
- Establishing city fees and utility rates
- Authorizing and approving contracts on behalf of the city
- Monitoring city programs and services to ensure they are being accomplished in the best possible way